The U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) and The American Geological Institute (AGI) announced a cooperative agreement that will focus on making the USGS Global Geographic Information System (GIS) database readily available to educators and the general public in the form of a DVD based world atlas. The USGS Global GIS database contains a wealth of USGS and other public domain data, including global coverages of elevation, landcover, seismicity, and resources of minerals and energy at a nominal scale of 1:1 million. The GIS, which will run on the included Environmental Systems Research Institute's (ESRI) ArcView Data Publisher software, will be produced both by region on seven CD-ROM's and on a single DVD.
USGS News Release: "USGS and the American Geological Institute Combine to Offer a World of Information"
- Please visit The American Geological Institute (AGI) website to order.
- Central and South America - Central and South America - DDS-62-A (available)
- Africa - Africa - DDS-62-B (available)
- South Asia - South Asia - DDS-62-C (available)
- South Pacific - South Pacific - DDS-62-D (available)
- North Eurasia - DDS-62-E (available)
- North America - DDS-62-F (available)
- Europe - DDS-62-G (available)
- Complete Global CDROM Set from AGI (available)
- Global coverage DVD - DDS-62-H (1 dual layer comprehensive DVD volume) (available)