Mars Exploration Rover Project
Mars MER A and MER B 2003 Rovers
MER Rovers Link http://marsrover.jpl.nasa.gov
AMES Link 2003 Landing Site Website
NOTE: This website was generated to help landing site selection. Because we have landed, this site will not be regularly updated. For the latest info please visit the JPL Rover Site.
- Jan/Feb, 2004, Spirit and Opportunity are down. For the latest info please visit the JPL Rover Site.
- October 6, 2003, Gusev and Meridiani here we come! The final discussion by the NASA's Associate Administrator for Space Science. memo
- Apr 11, 2003, Two main sites chosen - Hematite for MER-A and Gusev for MER-B. MER science memo / NASA press release.
- Mar 03, 2003, Added updated NA Excel stats files DEMs (download page).
- Feb 04, 2003, Landing Site Workshop Report of the 4th Meeting. (PDF)
- Jan 24, 2003, Athena Science Team Science-Based Landing Site Recommendations
- Jan 07, 2003, 4th MER workshop final agenda with linked presentations added.
- Jan 02, 2003, 4th MER workshop agenda and reminder.
- Jan 02, 2003, Added more NA DEMs (download page).
- Dec 20, 2002, Added MOC footprints through E22 and MOLA viewshed analysis layers on the online mapping page and below in data section.
- Dec 20, 2002, Added landing site DEMs for download. Use freeware Global Mapper to view, profile, and contour GIS DEM data (load *.adf file).
2 Chosen Landing Sites
Summary of the MER Landing Sites (Oct 6, 2003)
Gusev Crater (MER-A)
EP55A3 centered at:
Ellipse center ground radius 3392.33 km, MOLA elevation -1.91 km. Margined 99% ellipse: 78.2 km x 10.4 km, oriented at 75°, Unmargined 99% wllipse 67.2 km x 5.4 km
TM20B3 centered at:
Ground radius 3394.09, MOLA elevation - 1.44 km. Margined 99% ellipse: 84.6 km x 10.8 km, oriented at 82.9°, Unmargined 99% wllipse 73.6 km x 5.8 km.
- Old summary for the top 4 landing sites: (Aug 30 memo). Also see the Landing Site Workshop Report of the 4th Meeting (PDF)
- Data Links:
- Extended MER specific MSSS MOC images (GIS footprints).
- Viewshed Analysis images.
- USGS presentation on MOC_NA high-resolution DEMS (GRID, ASCII, and ISIS format, downloads).
- Calibrated MOC NA images (ftp download) info in the August 2001 note (Tiff and ISIS formats).
- 128 pixels/degree MOLA landingsite DEMs (GRID, ASCII, and ISIS format) planetographic or planetocentric.
- Stand Alone Viewers:
PIGWAD Online Maps
ArcView HTML - Ellipse Builder Interface has been removed. Please use the mapping services found at the PIGWAD Mars site.
Information and data provided by the MER Project Team.