Global GIS Database: Setup Guide
Version 5.9f (9/17/2000) CD-ROM / Version 6.0 for the DVD
The procedures provided in this Setup Guide assume that the Automenu System for your computer is activated (i.e., the "auto insert notification" option is checked in the Device Manager/Settings for you CD-ROM or DVD drive). If this is not the case, you can invoke the Automenu System by executing the program named "autorun.exe" in the root directory of the CD-ROM or DVD disc.
This Setup Guide might be easier to use in conjunction with the Automenu buttons if it were first printed out then used as a reference when navigating through the remainder of the setup process.
Setup Instructions (if you own Arcview 3.x):
Requirements: ArcView 3.1, 3.2 (ArcView 3.0 with Dialog Designer is supported in the ArcView project *_global_gis5_v3.apr)
- From the Global GIS Setup Menu, click on the button labeled: "If you have ArcView 3.x installed, click here"
- Follow the instructions on the submenu entitled, "ArcView GIS 3.x Owners.
Note: If the performance is not satisfactory running directly off the CD-ROM or DVD, you can improve this performance by installing both the Data files only (option 2 on the ArcView owner's submenu). After installed run the Global GIS project from the Windows start bar.
Setup Instructions (if you do not own ArcView):
Requirements: If you do not currently own ArcView 3 series, an alternative has been provided on the CD-ROM or DVD known as the ArcView GIS Data Publisher (DP). ArcView Data Publisher 3.1 works in Windows NT 4, Windows 2000, Windows 95/98/ME or higher and requires an industry-standard personal computer with a Pentium microprocessor, at least 24 MB of RAM (64 MB recommended) and 34 MB hard disk space (550 - 650 MB recommended for the CD-ROM, 6.5 gigabytes for the DVD). Web Browser is required for viewing help and ancillary information.
- From the Global GIS Setup Menu, click on the button labeled: "Setup".
- Follow the instructions on the submenu entitled "Install ArcView GIS Data Publisher".
- After installed run the Global GIS project from the Windows start bar.
Note: If the performance is not satisfactory running directly off the CD-ROM or DVD, you can improve the performance by installing both the DP and the GIS data files (option 2 on the Setup submenu).
- The Global GIS help pages can be located here.
UNIX and MAC Notes:
- UNIX and MAC users require ArcView 3.0 and Dialog Designer. Note: This product was built and tested on the Windows platform, thus UNIX and MAC users will experience difficulties with the Global GIS ArcView project. However, all the datasets on the CD-ROM or DVD are compatible.
- The Global GIS tools built on this CD-ROM or DVD are not supported by ArcView 8.x software. ArcView 8.x no longer supports the scripting language, Avenue, which was used to build the tools. However, all the datasets on the CD-ROM or DVD are compatible.
- We have received reports that ArcView Data Publisher may not work on some Windows machines installed with a language other than English. Please read the readme_browsers.txt file in the root of the CD-ROM or DVD for more information.
- To make sure the new installed fonts from the setup program are working, it is best to restart your machine.
- You cannot run the Data Publisher
version of ArcView by itself. It must be sent to the ArcView project file to open
correctly. If the program link was not created then the program can be run from
command line. For example:
You will need to use the correct paths to your files. This example shows the Central and South America path. Directory and the project file (*.apr) will differ on other CDs.
Trent M. Hare
U.S. Geological Survey
2255 North Gemini Drive
Flagstaff, AZ 86001